I think we can all agree that kale’s popularity in the limelight has some of the other super green vegetables a little jealous, especially because not everyone knows just how beneficial they are. Some people’s digestive system cannot handle the coarseness of the hearty kale plant (even when it is cooked) because of of the sulfur the digestive process stirs up during digestion. Below are super greens that are overlooked that yield significant positive nutritional health benefits (other than our trusty kale) and the highest nutrient per calorie score.
1. Collard and Mustard Greens: Great for reducing cholesterol, high in fiber
2. Romaine Lettuce: High in folate (battling depression and birth defects) and Vitamin B (energy and sexual energy)
3. Parsley: High in Vitamin K (blood and bone builder), aids in digestion and helps control appetite
4. Lettuce: Vitamin K, water and fiber
5. Chicory: High in antioxidants and polyphenols. Prevents chronic diseases.
6. Spinach: High in vitamin K (blood and bone builder). Appetite suppressant.
7. Beet Greens: detoxifying, aids in cardiovascular health
8. Chard: High in antioxidants and anthocyanins. Anti-inflammatory
9. Chinese cabbage and Bok Choy: High in calcium and iron.
10. Watercress: High in Vitamin K and Beta Carotene
(Chive, Endive and Turnip Greens are runner ups!)
Suggestion: So as the flu season is still going strong and the holidays try to cut our immune system down, keep these power houses available in your dietary reach and use them/eat them often. Enjoy!
Sources: CDC.gov, cosmopolitan.com, yahoo.com