I have heard of magnesium lotion, or what parents refer to as a miracle clam in a bottle (as they proceed to apply it to the bottom of their children’s feet to calm and soothe them to sleep. Read about all the wonderful benefits of magnesium glycinate, not just for relaxing children and adults into REM, but its many other health benefits, too!
- Magnesium glycinate is a chelated form of magnesium that tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and bio-availability and is typically considered ideal for those who are trying to correct a deficiency.
- This mineral medication is a natural supplement used to prevent and treat low amounts of magnesium in the blood.
- Magnesium is extremely important for the normal functioning of cells, nerves, muscles, bones, and the heart.
- Magnesium glycinate is easier on the bowel. Other forms of magnesium tend to be more disruptive to the bowel.
- Magnesium glycinate is highly absorbable. It is absorbed better than other forms of magnesium, up to 5 times more than magnesium oxide
- Magnesium glycinate may help balance mood swings and hyperactive disorders.
- According to recent studies, one possible cause of serious depression is magnesium deficiency. Lack of magnesium can result neurological damages thus leading to depression.
- Magnesium is very Important in the body because it:
- Helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function
- Keeps heart rhythm steady supports a healthy immune system
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- Promotes normal blood pressure
- Important for energy metabolism and protein synthesis
- Needed for hundreds of biochemical reactions in the body
- Have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol levels
- Provides us with better quality sleep
- Relaxes the nervous system
- Allows for better flexibility – because magnesium loosens tight muscles
- Give better bone integrity and strength – Magnesium helps to fix calcium properly
- Remineralizes teeth
- Alkalizes the body – Magnesium helps return the body’s pH balance
- Hydrates – Magnesium is a necessary electrolyte essential for proper hydration
- Helps with diabetes by enhancing insulin secretion
Signs of Magnesium Deficiency:
Hyper-excitability, dizziness, muscle cramps, muscle weakness and fatigue.
Severe magnesium deficiency can cause hypocalcemia, low serum potassium levels (hypokalemia), retention of sodium, low circulating levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), neurological and muscular symptoms (tremor, fasciculations, muscle spasms, tetany), loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, personality changes and death from heart failure.
Because magnesium plays such an important role in carbohydrate metabolism, its deficiency may worsen insulin resistance, a condition that often precedes diabetes, or may be a consequence of insulin resistance. Also, deficiency can cause irregular heart beat.
Ask your healthcare provider for lab work to see if you may have a magnesium deficiency.
Maybe this magnesium lotion really is a miracle in a bottle 🙂
Sources: Mercola.com, nutrichem.com, mindbodygreen.com, magnesiumreview.com, healthcentral.com, iherb.com