Thousands of years before modern medicine used and now it seems “demands” scientific evidence to prove the mind and body connection, the medicine men and women of India used their form of natural healing medicine, called Ayurveda. This traditional Hindu system of medicine, which is based on the idea of balance in bodily systems, uses everyday diet, herbal and oil treatments, yogic breathing and seasonal foods to bring people back into balance and out of pain and illness. Below are Ayurveda remedies for heartburn, insomnia and hangovers.
- Aloe Vera Gel: take 2 tablespoons of aloe with a pinch of baking soda. Using this will have an immediate soothing effect.
- Instant Effervescence: Into one cup of water, add 10 drops of lime juice, ½ teaspoon of organic sugar and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda. Then immediately drink the mixture to neutralize your heartburn.
- Papaya Juice: Drink 1 cup of papaya juice with 1 teaspoon of organic sugar and 2 pinches of cardamom.
- 1 spoon full of honey before bed or upon rising.
- Ginger Extract with Lemon Juice (take 2 oz. as a shot a few times a day).
- Drink one cup of carrot and cabbage juice a day.
- Try the Pitta-Pacifying Diet: Avoid all spicy foods, no pickles, and no fermented foods. Also cut out citrus and sour fruits.
- Soothing Breathing Exercise: Try the breathing technique called ‘shitali pramayama’, it helps to stimulate digestion.
- Warm Milk: Drinking a cup of warm milk, helps for a peaceful sleep.
- Try Cherries: They are good for mental fatigue and stress, eating roughly 10-20 cherries daily will help you sleep better.
- Herbal Formula: An effective herbal formula contains 1 part targar, 1 part valerian root powder and 1 part chamomile. Take ¼ teaspoon of the mixture with a little warm water before bed.
- Warm Oil Massage on the head, hands and feet: Is the simplest ways to induce sleep. Use Lavender essential Oils. Coconut Oils should be used for Pita types, seasame oils used for Vata types and Mustard Seed Oil should be used for Kapha body constitutions.
- For more information on body constitutions, please visit http://truthnhealth.com/2013/03/introduction-to-ayurveda-healing-practice-natural-ways-to-live-optimally-well/
- Get more natural light exposure in the daytime and take a walk in the morning hours.
- A hot bath: Taking a hot bath or shower at night can help soothe and promote sound sleep.
- Yoga Meditation: Try meditating for a while before going to sleep, follow your breath.
- Glass of fresh orange juice: try it will 1 teaspoon of lime juice and a pinch of cumin powder, it will help with the hangover.
- Cup of Cool Lassi: Bled 1 tablespoon of yogurt, with 1 cup of water, and a pinch of cumin powder. Drink this 3 to 4 times in the day; it will be effective in preventing dehydration.
- Try this Herbal Formula: 5 parts shatavari, 1/8 part shanka bhasma, 1/8 part kama dudha and 3 parts jatamasi.
- Try drinking coconut water
- Drink Aloe Vera juice (1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel) with juice/water
Sources: Ayruvedahomeremedies.com, altmedicine.com, thedailybeast.com