Reiki was developed in 1922 in Japan by Mikao Usui. Reiki is the awareness that an unseen energy flows through all living things and affects the quality of a person’s health. If your life energy is low, you have a harder time being able to deal with stress; you may not sleep well, and are more susceptible to illness. If your life energy is high or strong you feel like a strong person, can deal with stress better, and are less likely to get sick. Reiki is what increases a person’s supply of life energy.
The wonderful thing about Reiki is that anyone, including animals can benefit from Reiki sessions. Elderly, infants, children, toddlers, adults, people with low immune system battling chronic disease or cancer, people with special needs and those who are healthy.
What is a typical session like?
A Reiki practitioner will have you lie down, fully clothed on a massage table. The session is usually about 45 minutes to an hour. The Reiki practitioner will place his or her hands at different locations including, the head, shoulders, abdomen, legs and feet. The muscle tissue is not manipulated; the hands are just lightly touching or slightly away from the body. Reiki energy flows from the practitioners hands to the client’s body. Some Reiki practitioners will use crystals or other stones and even essential oils. Once the session is over, the client has feelings of relaxation, peace and well-being that promote healing.
Reiki energy allows the muscles to relax and increase’s blood flow to the treated areas. When the blood flows to the treated areas it allows the healing process to go faster. Reiki has also been known to help with stress, headaches, insomnia, stomach aches, and other minor conditions. Reiki can also promote psychological healing, which includes release of anger, fear, worry, and sadness and then replaces those feelings with feelings of self-worth, and confidence.
Additional Benefits includes:
- Stress reduction and relaxation, triggering the body’s natural healing abilities (immune system)
- Aids in better sleep and improves and maintains overall health
- Brings about inner peace and harmony
- Reiki also balances the mind and emotions with good mental balance
- Enhances learning, memory and mental clarity
- Able to help heal mental and emotional wounds
- Alleviates mood swings, fear, frustration and even anger.
- Helps in grieving processes and emotional healing dealing with sorrow
- Relieves pain from migraine, arthritis, sciatica
- Helps with symptoms of asthma, chronic fatigue, menopausal symptoms, and insomnia
- Reiki speeds up recovery from surgery or long-term illness. As it helps in adjusting to medicine/treatment, it also tends to reduce side-effects
- Helps people living with physical or mental illness (recovery from surgery, but regular treatments can also improve overall health (by helping to maintain a state of physical and emotional balance, Reiki can not only treat problems, but perhaps even prevent them from ever developing) Source: ManitouWellness.com
There are Reiki classes available for people who want to learn Reiki. It is simple and easy to learn, and there are no prerequisites.
“The secret art of inviting happiness. The miraculous medicine of all disease. Just for today, do not anger. Do not worry and be filled with gratitude. Devote yourself to your work. Be kind to people.”
Every morning and evening, join hands in prayer. Pray these words to your heart and chant these words with your mouth.
Additional Sources: Reiki.org, BalanceMassagebuffalo.com, ShaktiYogaEvolution.com