Mushrooms are a fabulous source of Vitamin D, antioxidants, immunity boosting vitamins and minerals and metabolism booster. There are many different types of mushrooms that yield various benefits. The following are the top 8 types of mushrooms and the greatness they provide the body once consumed. Eat mushrooms daily or as much as you can. It is also said to be an anti-aging and bladder detoxifying superfood!
Special note: people who have gout should avoid foods such as mushrooms that may lead to the production of more uric acid in the body.
1. “White Mushroom for Weight Loss and Prostate Cancer Prevention– This category includes the most popular and widely used button mushroom, cremini and the Portobello. The white mushroom has a special carbohydrate that ignites the metabolic fire and maintains blood sugar levels. A strong metabolism means more burned fat. Three ounces per day for four to six weeks has been said to yield substantial weight loss (this does not mean that exercise and healthy eating is not required). These mushrooms are also high in selenium which not only aids weight loss but is showing to have positive effects on prostate cancer.
2. Shiitake Can Fight Tumors– Very popular in Asian dishes, these flavorful, meaty mushrooms contain lentinan which is a natural anti-tumor compound. It has been developed by the Japanese into a beneficial anti-cancer treatment. In turn, it is an excellent source of vitamin D and fighting infection. Four to five ounces per day is recommended.
3. Reishi: The Super Anti-‘Shroom– This mushroom that looks like a large brown and white flower made of wood, has the following properties: anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. In addition, reishi mushrooms contain gandodermic acid which helps reduce cholesterol which in turn can lower high blood pressure. A few ounces per day is a good addition to a meal.
4.Maitake Mushrooms for Breast Cancer– A half of a cup per day of maitake mushrooms is said to be able to sweep the system, find abnormal cells and cause them to self-destruct. At the same time, these trumpeting bushels can trigger the body to release killer immune system cells.
5. Oysters for HIV – Oyster mushrooms are being studied as a possible defense against HIV. Due to its high anti-oxidant compounds, these mushrooms can be a life saving ingredient.
6. Chanterelle: The Other Anti ‘Shroom – Looking like a single mini-trumpet this mushroom has been associated with anti-microbial, bacterial and fungal properties. They are also high in vitamin C, D and potassium.
7. Porcini for Anti-Inflammation– A meaty mushroom similar to the Portabello has been used as a successful anti-inflammatory. It contains the compound ergosterol which is capable of cytotoxicity which is the process of attacking enemy cells.
8. Shimeji Fights Tumors Asthma and More– These are the tiny capped, long stemmed species that can be found in many Asian soups or as a garnish. Be sure and pay close attention to this one as it contains beta-glucans. According to the National Cancer Institute of Japan this compound is a successful remedy for retarding and destroying growing tumors. Shimeji mushrooms can also help diabetes, asthma and certain allergies by enhancing the immune system and boosting its healing capabilities.”
Try mushrooms in soups, stir-fry’s, in casseroles, or in salads. Article Source: www.Fitday.com
photo credit: 1zoom.net, growyourownmushroom.com, 21Food.com, nerdlyhome.com, cuculinary.com, formerchef.com, yogawithkatrina.com, thesleuthjournal.com, timplations.com.